- Dr Brô'c'ĥn returns to the U.S.S. Enterprise as a scientific advisor to help with the problem of wormholes and portals to the Mirror Universe.
- New executive officer Galbac Ezrael gets his onboarding medical exam with Dr Ramsbottom.
- Brô'c'ĥn is gets the overview of the problem with Jaheem Soto and acting Chief Science Officer Sakonna. He is interested in the problem, but several small things - an officer who's been reassigned, a rearranged science lab etc - remind him that things have changed in his absence.
- Ezrael is introduced to Captain Satlek and his suggested roster for a runabout mission impresses the captain.
- The crew of the runabout get ready to do a flyby of the black hole to gather data. Brô'c'ĥn tries to reconcile with Kestra but she's still angry about his betrayal to Section 31 when he was posted on the Enterprise.
- The data gathering session starts well, but as the runabout passes behind the black hole, the feed starts to break up. Ezrael makes an executive decision and requests the crew be beamed out, despite Brô'c'ĥn's objections. However, the transporter can't get a lock, and contact is lost with the runabout.
- The Enterprise crew discuss solutions to the situation and Lt Gustafsson suggests using another shuttlecraft as a relay with a tractor beam chain to retrieve the runabout, similar to what they did with the escort ships on the other side of the wormhole recently. The captain sends Gustafsson and decides to join the mission. Gustafsson is unhappy at this, preferring a solid engineering deck under his feet, and Ezrael confronts the captain about going on the mission himself, but is overruled.
- Back on the runabout, Kestra is fascinated by the data she's collecting, despite navigator Fabio Boccelli wanting them to leave. The rescue shuttlecraft needs to get closer than Gustafsson would like to boost the runabout away, just as Kestra detects an incredible signal from the black hole. Unfortunately, the energy transfer pulls them too close to the event horizon and unable to pull away. Arvind is able to transport them to the runabout, but not before the captain's Vulcan mask slips briefly in the face of death.
- The incredible wealth of data from the runabout is teased apart by Brô'c'ĥn and Kestra, who is far too excited about the data to be angry at Brô'c'ĥn any more, who is happy that that friendship has been restored.